The Texas Medical Association's LGBTQ Health Section is ready to take next steps after the House of Delegates created the new section to recognize and address LGBTQ health-related issues and needs.
You still have a chance to take part in development of the section, which will be open to any TMA member.
The section will hold its next organizational meeting via video conference at 7 pm (CT) on Tuesday, Dec. 1. Please register in advance. The deadline to register is Nov. 24.
Tentative agenda items include: election of remaining offices of the interim executive committee (secretary, delegate, alternate delegate, and medical student representative); finalizing proposed operating procedures; an identifying potential resolutions for the House of Delegates in 2021.
During their annual meeting Sept. 12 – held virtually this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic – delegates approved an amendment to TMA bylaws that describes the section’s purpose and procedures. However, a constitutional amendment that allows for the section’s representation in the TMA House of Delegates will need to be approved at the 2021 annual meeting.
TMA currently has five sections: medical students, international medical graduates, residents and fellows, young physicians, and women physicians. Each section can provide input into TMA policy through direct access and representation within the house.
The LGBTQ Health Section has been charged to:
- Study and advance the scientific basis for the care of LGBTQ patients;
- Develop policy and resources on LGBTQ health and advance the association as a leader in providing physicians with evidence-based scientific information on the care of LGBTQ patients;
- Address the unique issues in practice management, billing, and maintaining medical records in the care of LGBTQ patients;
- Communicate association policy and expertise on LGBTQ health; and
- Educate policymakers and advocate for policies addressing the medical spectrum of gender identity to improve access to quality health care.
Last Updated On
November 18, 2020