Hiring the right people for your medical practice office staff can be challenging, but careful preparation for the interviews and evaluation helps. Follow these tips for successful hiring:
- Create an accurate job description.
- List the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform the job.
- Place recruitment ads where your candidate pool will see them.
- Develop a list of interview questions and a consistent interview process.
- Make sure you understand the legal requirements of interviewing and hiring.
- Let the candidate do most of the talking during the interview. Ask open-ended questions whose answers will reveal something about how the candidate will handle typical situations in your practice.
- When evaluating candidates, put equal emphasis on skills, behavior, and cultural "fit."
- Don't hire too quickly. Interview several qualified candidates before making a decision.
- Conduct reference and background checks before making a job offer.
- Orient and train your new employee - or you might find yourself having to go through this whole process again in a few weeks.
Need help making management-level hiring decisions with confidence? Call on TMA Practice Consulting to recruit and screen qualified candidates for practice manager/administrator that meet your specifications.
Reviewed May 24, 2017
Last Updated On
May 24, 2017