According to the Center for American Progress, the cost of filling a position is 16-20.4 percent of the salary for employees paid $30,000-$75,000 annually because of costs for advertising, time spent interviewing and hiring, training, lost productivity, and overtime.
Exit interviews help retain staff if you listen and take action to correct deficits in the practice. Ask these questions at the employee's exit interview:
- What is your primary reason for leaving?
- How have we been fair or unfair?
- How does the practice function as a team? What are examples of failure to do so?
- Does management support the staff? If no, please explain.
- Did you feel you could advance in your career with us? If no, explain.
A policy and procedures manual can help enhance communication and teamwork among your staff by serving as ongoing reference and guide. After each exit interview, review your manual to make sure it addresses relevant problems that surfaced during the interview.
Reviewed May 24, 2017
TMA Practice E-tips main page
Last Updated On
May 24, 2017