According to The Health Care Group, Inc., the cost of filling a position is 1.5 times the annual salary for that position because of costs for advertising, time spent interviewing and hiring, training, lost productivity, and overtime.
Exit interviews help retain staff if you listen and take action to correct deficits in the practice. Ask these questions at the employee's exit interview:
- What is your primary reason for leaving?
- How have we been fair or unfair?
- How does the practice function as a team? What are examples of failure to do so?
- Does management support the staff? If no, please explain.
- Did you feel you could advance in your career with us? If no, explain.
A policy and procedures manual can help enhance communication and teamwork among your staff by serving as ongoing reference and guide. After each exit interview, review your manual to make sure it addresses policy or procedure problems that surfaced during the interview.
TMA Practice E-tips main page