NPI Entity Type 1/Type 2 and Medicare Provider Numbers

Q.  If I am an incorporated physician, do I need two National Provider Identifiers (NPIs)?

A.  Yes. If you have a practice association (PA) or a limited liability corporation (LLC), and it holds any contracts with payers, or if payment is ever made to the PA or LLC, or in the name of the PA or LLC, then it needs to acquire a Type 2 NPI in addition to your individual Type 1 NPI.   

Even if the practice association is an S corporation or a "disregarded entity" (i.e., tax return can be filed in the physician's name), the above applies. From an NPI perspective, an S corporation is no different from a limited liability corporation or any other type of corporation; if the PA receives payments, it must have its own Type 2 NPI.

More information is available from the Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services:

Q.  If my practice has two NPI numbers, will I be issued two Medicare provider numbers as well?

A.  Yes, Medicare will issue two Medicare provider numbers to solo physicians who are incorporated (as a professional association or a limited liability corporation).

TMA Practice e-tips main page

Last Updated On

December 09, 2020

Originally Published On

March 23, 2010