Look for Tax Forms on CARES Act Payments
By Joey Berlin


It’s tax season, and if you received payments in 2020 through certain federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act programs, be on the lookout for a tax form that includes information on those payments.

According to a frequently asked questions (FAQ) document from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), you’ll receive a Form 1099 if you received more than $600 total from either or both of the Provider Relief Fund or the COVID-19 Claims Reimbursement to Health Care Providers and Facilities for Testing, Treatment and Vaccine Administration for the Uninsured.

These forms will be mailed by Jan. 31, HHS says. Physicians who have a previously established account with UnitedHealth Group and have elected to receive electronic copies of documents will not get a copy in the mail.

Meanwhile, HHS is currently considering applications for Phase 3 of the Provider Relief Fund after making $24.5 billion in funding available for that phase. If you have questions about the status of your Provider Relief Fund application, contact the support line at (866) 569-3522. 

Last Updated On

January 12, 2021

Related Content


Joey Berlin

Associate Editor

(512) 370-1393

Joey Berlin is associate editor of Texas Medicine. His previous work includes stints as a reporter and editor for various newspapers and publishing companies, and he’s covered everything from hard news to sports to workers’ compensation. Joey grew up in the Kansas City area and attended the University of Kansas. He lives in Austin.

More stories by Joey Berlin