Q: How can I boost physician referrals to my solo specialty practice?
A: Do a little self-promotion to increase your visibility and build relationships. Remember, referrals are as much about relationships as expertise. Try these techniques:
- Give thanks. Attach a handwritten thank-you note to the reports you send back to your colleagues.
- Do lunch. Connect with colleagues in the hospital cafeteria.
- Speak up. Give public lectures (through a hospital lecture series, for example) on specific diseases to raise your profile as an expert and as someone who understands patients' questions and concerns.
- Spread the news. Send news about clinical procedures or drugs relating to your specialty to primary care physicians who can use the information in their own practice.
- Build a good rep. Develop a reputation as someone who always provides prompt and complete feedback information to the referring physician.
TMA Practice E-tips main page