Guidelines for Submission
TMA is looking for true stories that inspire and uplift physicians like you – stories that focus on the joys of practicing medicine.
Submissions can cover a range of themes, such as most memorable patients, Good Samaritan encounters, your first patient, how family/mentors have inspired you, or your funniest experiences.
Guidelines for Your Story
- Write in a casual style, and in the first person.
- Speak from the heart. A good story can make the reader laugh, cry, or just feel better for having read it.
- Keep your story in one tense, either past or present. Most stories will be written in past tense.
- Keep your story short enough to be read easily, but long enough to tell the story well. Make sure there’s a beginning, a middle, and an end. Maximum story length: 1,000 words.
- Your story must be true. No fiction. No creative writing.
- If someone else helps you write your story, that’s fine. You can label it with your name “as told to” the writer.
- We understand that politics and controversial issues can make for interesting reading, but stories with these themes will not be published.
- A poem is fine, too! Be creative, and be sure it tells your story.
About the Submission Process
How should I submit my story?
The easiest way to submit your stories or poems to us is via the website form below. If you have any problems when trying to fill out the form and submit your work, please contact Lena Loomis at lena[dot]loomis[at]texmed[dot]org. Note that the form will not automatically save your progress.
Alternatively, you may email your story as an attachment to Lena Loomis. By emailing your submission to TMA, you expressly agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of TMA’s Story Submission Agreement.
Can I submit a story I’ve told before?
Please submit only stories or poems that have not been published previously in writing.
What happens after I submit my story or poem?
After you hit “Submit Form,” in the online form, you should see this message: “Thank you for submitting your story to TMA.” For stories submitted by email, TMA will respond with a confirmation email. These are the only confirmations you will receive regarding your submission.
How will I know if my story is selected?
If your story or poem is selected, TMA will notify you by email. TMA does not send rejection letters. If your story is not published in this book, it will be saved for future consideration. If your story or poem will be included in future projects, TMA will notify you by email.
Terms and Conditions for Story Submission
By submitting your story to TMA, you expressly agree to be bound by TMA’s Story Submission Agreement. See terms and conditions.
NOTICE: It is important to ensure your story submission complies with state and federal privacy laws, including, to the extent applicable, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 Privacy Rule. See HIPAA’s safe harbor list of de-identification requirements, in accordance with 45 C.F.R. § 164.514.
Please also see TMA’s Website Privacy Statement.