TMA stands united to protect you, your family, and the profession of medicine for generations to come.
Grassroots efforts have been the cornerstone of our success throughout the years. Although your elected speakers, officers, trustees, and other leaders of the association represent extensive years of involvement in the democratic process, it is the combined work and support of our general membership that makes TMA so effective. Ultimately, it is you who decides how active you want to be and where your interests lie. Our goal is to take care of you so you can take care of your patients.
Successful Court Challenges to Managed care
- Antiracketeering victories over Aetna, CIGNA, HealthNet, Wellpoint, Prudential, and Humana valued at more than $1 billion to date.
- Active participation in settlement compliance oversight in these cases.
Active Stakeholder in Texas' Health Care Future
- TMA's Healthy Vision 2020, our strategic roadmap for TMA's state and federal advocacy initiatives for the remainder of the decade.
- High-profile representation of the federation of medicine at the local, state, and national levels.
- Interaction with state agencies on regulatory, socioeconomic, public health, and scientific policy issues.
At the Capitol in the Courts
- Protecting tort reform to keep liability insurance premiums low and stable.
- Fighting the hassle and cost of compliance with regulation and documentation requirements.
- Bringing physicians and alliance members to Austin for personal visits to legislators' offices during "First Tuesdays at the Capitol".
- Working with TEXPAC, a nonpartisan political action committee providing financial support and grassroots organization on behalf of medicine-friendly candidates.
- Offering Legislative News Hotline, a daily e-mail update on TMA's battles during the legislative session.
For Your Practice
- Assisting physicians and their staffs in managing and reducing third-party payer reimbursement hassles.
- Promoting an omnibus red-tape reduction bill and pushing lawmakers for in-office conveniences that mean less time spent on needless paperwork and more time dedicated to patient care.
- Addressing reimbursement problems through our Private Insurance Initiative: meetings with third-party payers such as Medicaid, Medicare, and insurance companies.
- Helping physicians receive payment for problem claims through our Hassle Factor Log program, a comprehensive logging of complaints against third-party payers.
- Developing member services based on physician concerns.
- Providing staff expertise on topics such as health law, state agency regulations, medical ethics, and medical legal information.
For Your Patients
- Advocating public health issues such as immunizations, reducing childhood obesity, organ donation, cancer education, and more.
- Stridently opposing non-physician health care professionals' efforts to expand scope of practice without a medical education.
- Improving access to care.
To learn more visit: TMA’s 2013 Legislative Agenda