Your Texas Medical Association leaders got their first glimpse at Healthy Vision 2020, our strategic roadmap for TMA’s state and federal advocacy initiatives for the remainder of the decade, at TexMed 2012 in Dallas. TMA member physicians can read and comment on the plan on the TMA website at www.texmed.org/HealthyVision. You can also order a hard copy from the TMA Knowledge Center by calling (800) 880-7955 or sending an
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Based entirely on existing TMA policy, Healthy Vision 2020 was reviewed and improved by TMA's policy councils and the Board of Trustees before it was presented to the TMA House of Delegates in Dallas.
Healthy Vision makes eight key recommendations for improving health care and maintaining the viability of physicians’ practices in Texas. They are:
- Ensure an adequate health care workforce;
- Protect physicians' independent medical judgment;
- Promote efficient and effective new models of care;
- Repeal harmful and onerous state and federal regulations;
- Invest in prevention;
- Protect and promote a fair civil justice system;
- Provide appropriate state and federal funding for physician services; and
-Establish fair and transparent insurance markets for patients, employers, taxpayers, and physicians.