For the last 55 years, Texas Medical Association's Physicians Benevolent Fund (PBF) has helped Texas physicians and their families in need. Each month, the fund helps recipients with personal expenses such as rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, medical bills, clothing, and food. Some recipients are elderly and not practicing medicine, some are disabled or ill, and some are widowed and raising families.
More than $3.8 million has been given in assistance payments to about 740 physicians and their families since the PBF was established in 1961 with a $2,500 donation from the late May Owen, MD, a Fort Worth pathologist and past president of TMA.
- All applicants must complete a confidential questionnaire containing personal financial information to be considered.
- Applications are reviewed by members of The Physicians Benevolent Fund Committee each May and September, with the committee acting on emergency cases in the interim.
- If eligible, a home visit is scheduled to determine extent of need and offer alternate resources.
- Eligibility criteria include:
- Applicants must be current residents of Texas.
- Physicians must be in good standing with the Texas Medical Board.
- Liquid asset limits - Liquid assets are those readily convertible into cash, including savings, bonds, stocks or shares, certificates of deposit, and individual retirement accounts. PBF uses the current year's Health and Human Services thresholds as a tool to determine liquid asset limits. Therefore, applicants cannot hold in liquid assets more than the 150% of Health and Human Services thresholds. For example, in 2016 a household of two cannot hold more than $24,030 in liquid assets.
PBF remains alive today because of the generosity of TMA members willing to share financially with less fortunate colleagues and families. PBF is a 501(c)(3) organization; therefore, your charitable contribution(s) are tax-deductible to the fullest extent permitted by federal law and may be in the form of honoraria or memorials.
Contributions may be made online HERE or sent to:
The Physicians Benevolent Fund
Texas Medical Association
401 W. 15th St.
Austin, TX 78701-1680
For additional information regarding contributions or eligibility criteria, contact Chris Johnson at (800) 880-1300, ext. 1602, or (512) 370-1602, or PBF@texmed.org.