The Texas Medical Association is one of only 11 state medical Societies with a separate representational group for IMG physicians. If you graduated from a foreign medical school and are a TMA member, you are automatically a member of the TMA IMG Section. However, you may request that your name be removed from the membership roster by contacting the IMG Section coordinator at (800) 880-1300, ext 1562.
The IMG Section promotes leadership development, policy formation, advocacy, and networking. Additionally, the section serves as a statewide communication and policy-making forum for addressing unique issues of particular interest to IMGs, such as:
- Working to monitor and improve the licensure and disciplinary process of the Texas Medical Board,
- Ensure the viability of Texas and national J-1 visa program,
- Strengthening Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program,
- Analyzing IMG policy making at the state and national level, and
- Blending the perspective of IMGs and their patients into TMA physician practice solutions.
The IMG Section was created to:
- Provide a direct means for IMGs to participate in the activities of the TMA,
- Enhance TMA outreach,
- Promote communication and interchange among IMGs,
- Promote TMA membership growth,
- Enhance the ability of IMGs to provide their perspective to TMA and its House of Delegates, and
- Facilitate the development of information and educational activities on topics of interest to IMGs.
If you are not a TMA member, consider joining your colleagues in participating in the IMG Section. Become a TMA member today.