If you plan to participate in the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), submitting your data for 2018 on time is not something to fool around with.
That’s why the Texas Medical Association reminds you that the deadline to submit data for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS’) 2018 Quality Payment Program (QPP) is April 2 – the day after April Fool’s Day.
And in case you forgot, the QPP requires you to submit data every year. Data submitted for a given performance year affects Medicare payment two years later.
There are several ways to submit data to MIPS. Physicians who plan to submit data by qualified registry, qualified clinical data registry, electronic health record, CMS survey vendor, and/or attestation have until April 2. However, CMS web interface users must submit data by March 22. Physicians who reported quality data via claims during 2018 can sign in to the QPP portal now to view their preliminary scores.
What’s at stake for MIPS-eligible physicians is a 5-percent payment cut in 2020. MIPS scoring under the QPP covers a 0-100 point scale. For the 2018 performance year, you will need an overall MIPS final score of at least 15 points to avoid a cut. To receive a bonus on your Medicare payments, your practice must score between 15.1 and 69.9. A score between 70 and 100 will mean a bonus, plus even more for exceptional performance.
CMS says you or your vendor may submit and resubmit data via the QPP portal at any time until the deadline. Immediately upon submission, CMS will provide physicians with preliminary scores. It will issue final 2018 MIPS performance scores and 2020 payment adjustment determinations in July.
If you are working with a vendor to submit MIPS data on your behalf, TMA encourages you to sign in to the QPP portal to review your MIPS data for accuracy. If you identify data errors, work with your vendor as soon as possible because CMS will not allow resubmissions after the deadline.
For MIPS guidance and support, here’s how TMA and others can help:
- To find out if you are required to participate in 2018 MIPS, check the QPP lookup tool.
- For 2018 MIPS requirements and guidance on the data submission process, visit the QPP website and review CMS’ User Guide, FAQs, and video series available in the QPP Resource Library.
- To review what you need to know about Medicare audits in relation to your 2018 MIPS data, refer to this TMA article.
- For free comprehensive education, developed with TMA input, visit the MACRA QPP Resource Center by the Physicians Advocacy Institute.
- To get free technical assistance on how to submit your 2018 MIPS data, contact QPP experts at the TMF Health Quality Institute.
- For personalized quality improvement services and tailored practice support to help your practice succeed in the QPP, contact TMA Practice Consulting.
If you were in a MIPS alternative payment model (APM) or advanced APM in 2018, contact your APM administrator for details and ask if you need to submit any data on your own.
For questions, contact the QPP Service Center at (866) 288-8292 or by email at QPP@cms.hhs.gov. To share your challenges with the program, email TMA at MACRA@texmed.org to help inform our ongoing advocacy and QPP comment letters to CMS. For more information, visit the TMA MACRA Resource Center.