Nov 8, 2021
- WHAT: Houston residents of all ages are encouraged to lace up their walking shoes and join Benedict Ifedi, MD, of Memorial Hermann Community Benefit Corporation for his first Walk With a Doc Texas event.
- WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 13, at 9 am (recurring monthly every second Saturday)
- WHERE: Highland Park – Acres Home Community-- 3316 Desoto Park, Houston
- WHO: Dr. Ifedi, Memorial Hermann Community Benefit Corporation staff members, and any community members interested in participating.
- WHY: Walking is the simplest, best thing people can do to live a long, high-quality life. WWAD makes it easy by providing the time, place, motivation (a brief health information talk), and fellow participants for a fun walking experience.
- HOW: Please adhere to all COVID-19 recommendations and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and applicable local and state health authorities.
The Walk With a Doc concept is
organize walks in their communities and invite their patients, their patients’
families, and community members to join them. Walkers will enjoy a refreshing
and rejuvenating walk with Dr. Ifedi and other health care professionals, who
will provide support to participants and answer questions during the walk. Walk With a Doc is overseen by a national
nonprofit organization to get people active and healthy, and is backed by the
Texas Medical Association (TMA) in Texas.
This is a FREE program, and preregistration is not required.
Information about future walks will be announced on this chapter's Walk With a Doc website.
TMA is the
largest state medical society in the nation, representing more than 55,000
physician and medical student members. It is located in Austin and has 110
component county medical societies around the state. TMA’s key objective since
1853 is to improve the health of all Texans. TMA Foundation, TMA’s
philanthropic arm, raises funds to support the public health and science
priority initiatives of TMA and the family of medicine, including Walk With a
Doc Texas. Walk With a Doc Texas is funded by a grant from the TMA Foundation with generous support from TMA Insurance Trust, Baylor Scott & White, and Prudential. To learn more, visit the TMA Foundation website.
Walk With a Doc is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to encourage
healthy physical activity in people of all ages, and reverse the consequences
of a sedentary lifestyle to improve the health and well-being of the country.
Walk With a Doc was started in 2005 by David Sabgir, MD, a board-certified
cardiologist in Columbus, Ohio, who practices with the Mount Carmel Health
System. To learn more, go to the Walk With a Doc website.
Brent Annear (512) 370-1381; email: brent.annear[at]texmed[dot]org
Last Updated On
November 08, 2021
Originally Published On
November 05, 2021