Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT), the largest medical liability insurance provider in Texas, has made several changes to help members care for COVID-19 patients and to offer relief from financial hardships related to the pandemic.
Below is a recap of the major COVID-19 actions TMLT has implemented during the crisis from TMLT President and CEO Robert D. Donohoe:
- TMLT will not cancel any policy for non-payment due to the challenges of the COVID-19 emergency. If you expect your premium payment will be delayed, please contact us as soon as possible. We can help you find a solution.
- If you have closed your practice or reduced your hours because of the COVID-19 crisis, please contact us. You may be able to change your insured status to a “leave of absence” or “part time basis,” which can help reduce your premium.
- We are extending our business hours, as we know you are being stretched and challenged well beyond traditional work hours. You can now contact us from 8 am to 8 pm Monday through Friday at (800) 580-8658. If calling after 8 pm, please follow the prompts to report a claim, ask a risk management question, or ask a question about your account.
- TMLT has declared an additional 10% special dividend to policyholders, hoping that this will ease some of the burden experienced as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. You will receive this additional 10 percent premium dividend as a credit to your account at your next premium invoice. The amount of your dividend will be based on your in-force premium amount as of March 1, 2020. This COVID-19 special dividend is in addition to dividends previously declared for your policy. The COVID-19 special dividend will be effective immediately and applied to your next premium invoice.
- TMLT is offering insurance coverage at no cost to retired Texas physicians who resume practicing medicine during the COVID-19 public health emergency. This medical professional liability coverage will be offered without premium to any Texas physician working on a volunteer basis and in direct response to a governmentally declared emergency order regarding the COVID-19 crisis.
“As the CEO of Texas Medical Liability Trust, it has been my greatest honor to serve and protect the physicians of Texas and beyond,” Mr. Donohoe said. “And now, at perhaps the medical community’s greatest hour of need in a generation, I pledge my full support and the personal support of TMLT’s employees to provide service and assistance in any way we can.”
Last Updated On
May 14, 2020
Originally Published On
May 14, 2020