Texas health officials are warning physicians to watch for mercury poisoning after a woman who purchased cosmetics in Mexico was hospitalized in Texas.
According to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS), a pharmacy in Mexico apparently mixed mercury into a name-brand face cream for the woman.
“Laboratory testing showed the product contained 29,000 parts per million of inorganic mercury,” DSHS said. “U.S. regulations prohibit the sale of skin cream with more than 1 ppm of mercury.”
More information on mercury poisoning, including symptoms, can be found on the DSHS website.
Last Updated On
January 10, 2020