May 21, 2019
- WHAT: Lubbock residents of all ages are encouraged to lace up their walking shoes and join Mary Irving, MD, of Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) Department of Family and Community Medicine for the clinic’s first Lubbock Walk With a Doc (WWAD) Texas event.
- WHEN: THIS Sunday, May 26, 2019, at 4:30 pm. Future walks will occur every third weekend of the month.
- WHERE: Richard Lopez Park, 5402 Auburn St., Lubbock
- WHO: Dr. Irving, TTUHSC Department of Family and Community Medicine staff members, and any community members interested in participating
- WHY: Walking is one of the simplest, best things people can do to live a long, high-quality life. WWAD makes it easy by providing the time, place, motivation (a brief health information talk), and fellow participants for a fun walking experience.
The Walk With a Doc concept is simple: Physicians organize walks in their communities and invite their patients, their patients’ families, and community members to join them. Walkers will enjoy a refreshing and rejuvenating walk with Dr. Irving and other health care professionals, who will provide support to participants and answer questions during the walk. Walk With a Doc Texas is overseen by a national nonprofit organization to get people active and healthy and is backed by the Texas Medical Association (TMA) in Texas.
This is a FREE program, and preregistration is not required. Information about future walks will be announced on this chapter’s Walk With a Doc website.
TMA is the largest state medical society in the nation, representing nearly 53,000 physician and medical student members. It is located in Austin and has 110 component county medical societies around the state. TMA’s key objective since 1853 is to improve the health of all Texans. TMA Foundation, TMA’s philanthropic arm, raises funds to support the public health and science priority initiatives of TMA and the family of medicine, including Walk With a Doc Texas. Walk With a Doc Texas is funded by a grant from the TMA Foundation with generous support from TMA Insurance Trust, Prudential, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas. To learn more, visit the TMA Foundation website.
Walk With a Doc is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to encourage healthy physical activity in people of all ages, and reverse the consequences of a sedentary lifestyle to improve the health and well-being of the country. Walk With a Doc was started in 2005 by David Sabgir, MD, a board-certified cardiologist in Columbus, Ohio, who practices with the Mount Carmel Health System. To learn more, go to the Walk With a Doc website.
On the day of the event (for media convenience; not for public release): (505) 231-8443
Brent Annear (512) 370-1381; cell: (512) 656-7320; firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcus Cooper (512) 370-1382; cell: (512) 650-5336; email: email@example.com
Visit MeAndMyDoctor.com for interesting and timely news on health care issues affecting patients and their physicians.