December 27, 2018
- WHAT: Baytown residents of all ages are encouraged to lace up their walking shoes and join Angela Guerra, MD, and colleagues from Kelsey-Seybold Clinic for Dr. Guerra’s first-anniversary Walk With a Doc (WWAD) Texas event.
- WHEN: Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, at 5:30 pm. Future walks will occur on the first Thursday of each month at 5:30 pm.
- WHERE: Eddie Huron Park, 4700 Bush Rd., Baytown
- WHO: Dr. Guerra and any community members interested in participating
- WHY: Walking is one of the simplest, best things we can do to live a long, high-quality life. WWAD makes it easy by providing the time, place, motivation (a brief health talk), and fellow participants for a fun walking experience.
The Walk With a Doc concept is simple: Physicians organize walks in their communities and invite their patients, their patients’ families, and community members to join them. Walkers will enjoy a refreshing and invigorating walk with Dr. Guerra and the other physicians and health care professionals who will provide support to participants and answer questions during the walk. Walk With a Doc is overseen by a national nonprofit organization to get people active and healthy, and is backed by the Texas Medical Association (TMA) in Texas.
TMA is the largest state medical society in the nation, representing more than 52,000 physician and medical student members. It is located in Austin and has 110 component county medical societies around the state. TMA’s key objective since 1853 is to improve the health of all Texans. TMA Foundation, TMA’s philanthropic arm, raises funds to support the public health and science priority initiatives of TMA and the family of medicine, including Walk With a Doc Texas. Walk With a Doc Texas is funded by a grant from the TMA Foundation with generous support from TMAIT, Prudential, and BCBSTX. To learn more, visit the TMA website.
Walk With a Doc is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to encourage healthy physical activity in people of all ages, and reverse the consequences of a sedentary lifestyle to improve the health and well-being of the country. Walk With a Doc was started in 2005 by David Sabgir, MD, a board-certified cardiologist in Columbus, Ohio, who practices with the Mount Carmel Health System. To learn more, go to the Walk With a Doc website.
On the day of the event (reporters, please do not publish):
Angela Guerra, MD, (210) 274-7213; email: angelaguerramd[at]gmail[dot]com
Brent Annear (512) 370-1381; cell: (512) 656-7320; email: brent.annear[at]texmed[dot]org
Marcus Cooper (512) 370-1382; cell: (512) 650-5336; email: marcus.cooper[at]texmed[dot]org
Connect with TMA on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Visit MeAndMyDoctor.com for interesting and timely news on health care issues affecting patients and their physicians.