Primary Care: The Texas Medical Association adopted the following six recommendations from the Special Committee on Primary Care:
(1) That the Texas Medical Association support federal and state funding of an adequate number and type of postgraduate medical education slots to accommodate graduates of Texas medical schools and to meet the state's physician workforce needs.
(2) That TMA support revitalization of the statewide preceptorship programs in family medicine, general internal medicine, and general pediatrics for undergraduate medical students to encourage students to select primary care careers.
(3) That TMA recommend the state provide sustained funding for the State Physician Education Loan Repayment Program and preserve loan repayment monies available to physicians by resisting efforts to redirect this funding to loan repayment for other health professions. TMA does not oppose loan repayment programs to address shortages of other health professionals, but does not support taking the funds away from physicians for redirection to other professions until such time as there are no longer primary care physician shortages in the state. TMA believes other funding sources should be identified to finance loan repayment for other health professions.
(4) That TMA support the Medically Underserved Community-State Matching Incentive Program for Primary Care Physicians. The program provides $15,000 to $25,000 per year, to be shared equally by the state and community to cover operational costs, to Texas-licensed primary care physicians who agree to establish practices in specified underserved areas for a minimum of two years.
(5) That TMA support the Texas Health Service Corps Program. The program provides up to $15,000 per year to entering primary care residents who agree to practice one year for each year a stipend is received in specified underserved areas after completion of their Texas postgraduate training.
(6) That TMA recommend to the state adequate funding for the existing family medicine residency training programs (Board of Trustees, p 24, I-94; amended CME Rep. 1-A-05; amended CME Rep. 1-A-05; amended CM-PDHCA Rep. 1-A-15).
Last Updated On
October 07, 2016