Health Information Technology – Electronic-Prescribing: The Texas Medical Association supports initiatives that increase appropriate utilization of electronic prescribing (e-prescribing). In addition, TMA maintains the following positions related to e-prescribing:
- TMA supports further development of physician and patient controls of e-prescribing and e-refills including patient health records and patient portals to manage prescriptions.
- TMA supports positive incentives for the adoption and maintenance of e-prescribing. TMA opposes physician penalties where e-prescribing is not practical, possible, or desired by the patients.
- TMA supports legislative and regulatory efforts to ensure universal acceptance by pharmacies of electronically transmitted prescriptions.
- TMA supports development of patient- and condition-specific e-prescribing tools, for example, appropriate rounding of weight-based doses in pediatrics.
- TMA supports the use of standardized plug-in applications or web-based tools to standardize and simplify e-prescribing.
- TMA supports cost-free access to patient-specific, medication-related information such as formulary, eligibility, and fill history. (Previously 95.029; Res. 306-A-08; amended CPMS Rep 2-A-18).
Last Updated On
September 20, 2018