TMA will be able to award 11 students with $10,000 scholarships through the TMA Minority Scholarship Program for 2016 incoming medical students. The program helps minorities who are underrepresented in Texas medical schools and the state's physician workforce. TMA increased the award amount from $5,000 to $10,000 for scholarship winners beginning this year. To be considered for a scholarship, TMA must receive applications by 5 pm on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016.
The funds will be disbursed directly to the school in increments of $2,500 annually during the first four years of a student's matriculation. These scholarships are made possible through generous donations solicited by the TMA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of TMA.
- Applicants must be African-American, Hispanic/Latino, or Native American.
- Students already attending medical school are not eligible.
- Applicants must be an incoming freshman at the school awarding the loan during fall 2016.
- One scholarship is awarded annually per Texas medical school. (If a recipient chooses to matriculate elsewhere, he or she loses the scholarship, and a new recipient is chosen.)
- Applicants must complete an application.
- Applicants must provide confirmation they have accepted an offer for admission to a Texas medical school.
- Applicants must write an essay, not to exceed 750 words, explaining how they would "improve the health of all Texans."
The winning candidates will be notified in March. A scholarship certificate will be presented at TexMed 2016 in Dallas on April 29. (Attendance is required.)
Please share this information with eligible minority students in Texas, and encourage them to visit the program website and to apply. For more information, call (800) 880-2828, ext. 1600, or email Gail Schatte.
TMA's 2016 Minority Scholarship Program is made possible with a grant from the TMA Foundation (TMAF) thanks to the TMAF Trust Fund of Dr. Roberto J. and Agniela (Annie) M. Bayardo; the TMAF Patrick Y. Leung, MD, Minority Scholarship Endowment; and generous gifts from H-E-B and physicians and their families.
Action, Feb. 1, 2016
Last Updated On
May 08, 2016