Here are some important dates you should know about 2015 enrollment in the marketplace:
- Nov. 15, 2014: Open enrollment begins. That’s when you’ll be able to compare plans in the marketplace, find out if you can get financial assistance, and enroll for coverage for 2015. If you already have a marketplace plan from 2014, you can still shop around to change plans, or keep your current one.
- Dec. 15, 2014: Unless you automatically renew your current marketplace plan, this is the last day to sign up for insurance in the marketplace for it to be effective as of Jan. 1, 2015. Check with your health plan to make sure you pay your first premium on time.
- Dec. 31, 2014: All 2014 marketplace coverage ends, regardless of when you signed up.
- Jan. 1, 2015: 2015 coverage begins. Your new insurance will start on this date if you apply by Dec. 15. Or, your 2014 marketplace plan will restart on Jan. 1 if you automatically renew for 2015.
- Feb. 15, 2015: Open enrollment ends. This is also the last day to sign up for health insurance coverage for 2015 and avoid a penalty for going without coverage. (See Who Must Enroll? What If I Don’t?)
Certain changes in your life, like losing a job, may allow you to sign up for marketplace coverage outside the open enrollment period. Visit HealthCare.gov for more information about the “special enrollment period.”
"Hey, Doc" main page