The Texas Medical Association and H-E-B have a history of working together to improve the health of all Texans. In 2012, this collaboration expanded when two H-E-B stores welcomed the TMA Hard Hats for Little Heads program to their Second Saturday in-store health events. Based on these successful pilots, TMA hopes to increase the number of collaborative events in 2013 and beyond.
How to incorporate Hard Hats for Little Heads with H-E-B’s Second Saturday screenings:
H-E-B stores offer a new and exciting venue for TMA’s Hard Hats for Little Heads. Stores with pharmacies host monthly Second Saturday screenings, which offer health screenings for blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, and diabetes. The events, typically from 9 am-2 pm, draw large numbers of families to the stores. The helmet giveaways would take place near the store pharmacy, the site of the Second Saturday events.
H-E-B does not participate in the helmet giveaways but simply provides a health-related event and a highly visible venue for members of the TMA family — physicians, medical students, county medical societies, and TMA Alliance members — to host their event. In most cases, H-E-B will provide a table and chairs for your event.
A Local HEB Store
If you’re interested in working with H-E-B on an event, follow these steps:
- At least six weeks before your event, contact Tammy Wishard, TMA’s outreach coordinator, (tammy.wishard[at]texmed[dot]org or  370-1470) to let her know which H-E-B store you’re interested in working with and when. Tammy will contact H-E-B corporate offices, who will contact the local store to ensure the date you have chosen does not interfere with any other store event.
- Once Tammy hears from H-E-B, she will let you know if the date is OK and provide contact information for the pharmacy manager of your local H-E-B store. She also will send you a Hard Hats for Little Heads order packet.
- You then can coordinate logistics with the local store. Work with your local H-E-B to determine what H-E-B will provide (table and chairs, for instance), where the giveaway will occur in the store, and any other details. You will need to provide a table cover for the table. You also will need to bring extension cords if you require power for the event.
- At least three weeks before your event, return the signed TMA grant agreement (in the order packet) along with the helmet and materials order forms to TMA’s outreach coordinator.
- Determine with H-E-B how to promote your event. TMA provides a flyer and envelope stuffer you can customize for your event. H-E-B may be willing to assist you with promotion by letting you put posters in the store or distributing flyers at the pharmacy counter. Please coordinate with H-E-B to handle this in the best way for your community.
- Let TMA review any promotional materials or news releases before you distribute them.
- Make final plans for your event: Secure volunteers, secure a DVD player and monitor, assign a photographer, and review event logistics.
- Invite your state legislator and civic leaders to your event so they can see a community partnership to put prevention into action. Your legislator and civic leaders might want to roll up their sleeves and help out.
- Send TMA any photos and news clips so we can share your success with the funders of Hard Hats for Little Heads, the TMA Foundation, and your colleagues around the state.
Last Updated On
April 23, 2018