NUMERATOR / DENOMINATOR / EXCLUSION
- DENOMINATOR: Number of transitions of care and referrals during the EHR reporting period for which the Eligible Physician (EP) or other eligible professional was the transferring or referring provider.
- NUMERATOR: Number of transitions of care and referrals in the denominator where a summary of care record was provided.
- EXCLUSION: If an EP does not transfer a patient to another setting or refer a patient to another provider during the EHR reporting period then they would be excluded from this requirement. EPs must select NO next to the appropriate exclusion, then click the APPLY button in order to attest to the exclusion.
The resulting percentage (Numerator ÷ Denominator) must be more than 50 percent in order for an EP to meet this measure.
- Only patients whose records are maintained using certified EHR technology should be included in the denominator for transitions of care.
- The transferring party must provide the summary care record to the receiving party.
- The EP can send an electronic or paper copy of the summary care record directly to the next provider or can provide it to the patient to deliver to the next provider, if the patient can reasonably expected to do so.
- If the provider to whom the referral is made or to whom the patient is transitioned to has access to the medical record maintained by the referring provider then the summary of care record would not need to be provided, and that patient should not be included in the denominator for transitions of care.