NUMERATOR / DENOMINATOR / EXCLUSION
- DENOMINATOR: Number of unique patients seen by the Eligible Physician (EP) or other eligible professional for an office visit during the EHR reporting period.
- NUMERATOR: Number of patients in the denominator who are provided a clinical summary of their visit within three business days.
- EXCLUSION: EPs who have no office visits during the EHR reporting period would be excluded from this requirement. EPs must enter ‘0’ in the Exclusion box to attest to exclusion from this requirement.
The resulting percentage (Numerator ÷ Denominator) must be more than 50 percent in order for an EP to meet this measure.
- The EP is permitted, but not required, to limit the measure of this objective to those patients whose records are maintained using certified EHR technology.
- The provision of the clinical summary is limited to the information contained within certified EHR technology.
- The clinical summary can be provided through a PHR, patient portal on the web site, secure e-mail, electronic media such as CD or USB fob, or printed copy. If the EP chooses an electronic media, they would be required to provide the patient a paper copy upon request.
- If an EP believes that substantial harm may arise from the disclosure of particular information, an EP may choose to withhold that particular information from the clinical summary.
- EPs should not charge patients a fee to provide this information.
- When a patient visit lasts several days and the patient is seen by multiple EPs, a single clinical summary at the end of the visit can be used to meet the meaningful use objective for “provide clinical summaries for patients after each office visit”.
- The EP must include all of the items listed under "Clinical Summary" in the above "Definition of Terms" section that can be populated into the clinical summary by certified EHR technology. If the EP's certified EHR technology cannot populate all of these fields, then at a minimum the EP must provide in a clinical summary the data elements for which all EHR technology is certified for the purposes of this program (according to §170.304(h)):
- Problem List
- Diagnostic Test Results
- Medication List
- Medication Allergy List