NUMERATOR / DENOMINATOR / EXCLUSION
- DENOMINATOR: Number of unique patients age 13 or older seen by the Eligible Physician (EP) or other eligible professional during the EHR reporting period.
- NUMERATOR: Number of patients in the denominator with smoking status recorded as structured data.
- EXCLUSION: An EP who sees no patients 13 years or older would be excluded from this requirement. EPs must enter ‘0’ in the Exclusion box to attest to exclusion from this requirement.
The resulting percentage (Numerator ÷ Denominator) must be more than 50 percent in order for an EP to meet this measure.
- The EP is permitted, but not required, to limit the measure of this objective to those patients whose records are maintained using certified EHR technology.
- This is a check of the medical record for patients 13 years old or older. If this information is already in the medical record available through certified EHR technology, an inquiry does not need to be made every time a EP sees a patient 13 years old or older. The frequency of updating this information is left to the EP and guidance is provided already from several sources in the medical community.