Take advantage of your TMA membership by attending TexMed 2011, May 13-14, at the George R. Brown Convention Center and Hyatt Regency Houston.
"Caring for Patients in a Time of Change" is the theme of the conference, which offers more than 100 hours of clinical and business continuing medical education (CME), an exhibit hall with some 100 exhibits, a chance to learn how to enhance patient care, stay abreast of clinical updates, discuss key issues with experts in the field, and help set TMA policy on issues that are important to you and your patients. Attendance at TexMed is free for TMA members.
See into The Future of Medicine Under the New Health System with Jeff Goldsmith, PhD, at the General Session. As president of Health Futures, Inc., Dr. Goldsmith writes and lectures actively on health policy, financing, and technology, both in the United States and overseas.
Some of the key points he will cover in his General Session presentation include:
- An update on what's happening in Washington.
- What can we expect in the next five to 10 years?
- Manpower issues – providing care for newly insured and aging boomers.
- The hospital/physician relationship and how it has changed.
Can't make it to TexMed? You may view the General Session broadcast.
You may also read Dr. Goldsmith's article, "Accountable Care Organizations: The Case For Flexible Partnerships Between Health Plans And Providers" in the recent edition of Health Affairs.
While at TexMed 2011, you also can:
- Spend some quality time on Friday with colleagues and friends at the Networking Luncheon in the Expo Hall. After lunch, stroll through the Expo Hall and preview the latest technology, products, and services for your practice. Boxed lunch tickets are $15. Sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
- Take part in Friday's health system reform programming, which includes discussions on accountable care organizations and other practice models, as well as physician employment. (View a complete list of CME programming.)
- Attend Saturday morning's featured breakout during the Quality track, "Value-Based Purchasing: Preparing Your Practice for New Delivery and Payment Models."
- Join us at a new event – a reception honoring 2011-12 TMA President C. Bruce Malone, MD, Austin, and TMA Alliance President Bridget McKeever, Corpus Christi. Sponsored by the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust.
- Smile for the camera at the Portrait Studio! Visit booth #431 at the Expo Hall to have your professional portrait taken by RCL Portrait Design. These photos will be used for the TMA online directory, the new TMA Mobile App, and public relations. View your proofs on the spot through an instant video system and choose your favorite photo for your TMA file. Additional photos are available for purchase, but there is no pressure to buy. This is a free service. Call (800) 951-8712 for an appointment before you arrive at TexMed.
- Enjoy fine wine at the Texas Oenological Society annual wine dinner at 7 pm Thursday, May 12, at Charivari Specialty Restaurant, 2521 Bagby. Tickets are $125. You may register online on the TexMed website.
- Eat, drink, and be merry at TMA Foundation's 18th annual gala, Picture of Good Health. This annual fundraiser is a chance to have fun with friends while supporting TMA's health improvement programs.
Register for the conference online or contact the TMA Knowledge Center by telephone at (800) 880-7955 or by e-mail.
Action, May 2, 2011