Five Simple Things You Can Do for Your Practice Right From Your Office
Today's health care system is broken. Unfortunately, you cannot fix it or protect your practice by working more hours and taking care of more patients. The only way for you to effect "real change" is through the legislative process. Here are five easy things you can do for your practice starting today - right at your desk.
- Keep track of medicine's top priority issues throughout the session by subscribing to the daily or weekly e-newsletter.
- Use TMA's Grassroots Action Center . Write, e-mail, or call your legislator when critical issues arise. TMA makes it easy. All you have to do is respond to a TMA Action Alert using the message provided. It only takes a minute.
- Get to Know Your Legislators. When medicine speaks, legislators do listen, especially if they've heard from you before. Work through your county medical society to set up a local physician meeting with your state representative or state senator. Very often, you or your colleagues know them personally. There is no substitute for this personal relationship!
- Sign up for First Tuesdays at the Capitol . Join hundreds of your colleagues in Austin the first Tuesday of the month (Feb. 1, March 1, April 5, May 3). Legislators take note when doctors in white coats walk the halls of the capitol each session.
- TMA members, take a close look at TEXPAC . The Texas Medical Association Political Action Committee (TEXPAC) is the political arm of TMA. Its the largest bipartisan political action committee in the state and ranks first in size among other state medical association PACs. A successful year on the campaign trail frequently translates into success at the capitol. For more information go the TEXPAC Web site.
TMA Legislative Resources
Texas Legislative Resources