The Texas Medical Association offers loans to qualified resident physicians at an interest rate of 4.4 percent. For information on all the loan programs TMA currently offers residents, visit the TMA Educational Loans page.
- Loans are available to physicians in any year of postgraduate training.
- A resident physician may borrow up to a maximum of $3,000.
- The residency must be in an accredited program in Texas.
- Interest is due each year on the anniversary date of the loan until principal repayment begins.
- Loans may be repaid in full at any time without a prepayment penalty.
- Loan recipients must begin to repay the principal of the loan two years after loan disbursement.
- Equal monthly payments will be made for 12 months on a $1,000 loan, 24 months on a $2,000 loan, or 36 months on a $3,000 loan.
How to Apply
Resident physicians may apply for a loan through TMA. To apply, complete the Resident Physician Loan Program application ( PDF ) and mail them to: Loan Funds Administration, Texas Medical Association, 401 W. 15th St., Austin, TX 78701.
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org , or call (800) 880-2828 for more information.
Note : If an individual received a TMA loan from either the Dr. S.E. Thompson Scholarship Fund or the TMA Alliance Student Loan Fund while in medical school, that amount will be included in the maximum allowed.