Rules and Instructions
Each year, TMA honors award-winning Texas general-interest news media with the Anson Jones, MD, Awards. Winners receive $1,000 and a plaque. Citation of Merit winners receive $250 and a certificate. The competition is free to enter, so Texas online / new media / mixed media reporters and content producers, enter your winning work today.
Pick the category that best fits your winning entry. You produce online / new media /mixed media news stories, so choose one of these (or if you do not create online media news content, use your web browser to go back to the main Anson Jones page to find your correct media category):
- Online/New Media/ Mixed Media. These are news reports appearing online, including articles, blogs, audio or video content, or a combination thereof. May be online-only content from a traditional media outlet (like a TV station or newspaper), or online-only content from a nontraditional (online-only) news outlet.
Step Two: Read and follow this section carefully (Rules/Deadlines/Entry Form)
- Entries must be RECEIVED in the TMA offices by Jan. 15 each year.
- Material must be initially published or broadcast between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 the previous year.
- You must submit FIVE copies/dubs of each entry. We require five because we send entries to 5 judges in different locations. Electronic copies are acceptable as well (in which case we only need one copy).
- All entrants must submit one completed entry form per each copy/dub of an entry (photocopies are ok). That's FIVE entry forms total (remember we ship your entry to 5 judges in different places). Electronic entry forms are acceptable as well (in which case we only need one copy).
- Individual entrants may submit up to three articles/stories or series per year.
- Enter the correct category! Be careful to note length/duration of your work and choose accordingly.
- No deadline extensions can be granted. Entries will not be returned.
- If a team contributed to an entry, please list a maximum of four contributor names.
- TMA and its judges reserve the right to disqualify any entries not meeting eligibility requirements.
- Download and print official entry form and submit with all entries (photocopies are acceptable, as are electronic entries).
- TMA charges no fee to enter TMA's Anson Jones, MD, Awards competition, however all entry, duplication and shipping costs are the responsibility of each entrant. Multiple entries may be shipped together in one box/envelope.
Who can enter?
You are eligible to enter IF:
- You are general-interest news media based in Texas and intended primarily for a Texas public audience;
- Your entry first published or aired between Jan. 1 - Dec. 31 this year, for January’s competition deadline;
- You don’t send more than three entries this year. Entries may be the work of an individual or the collective effort of a publication or station. An individual (a person) may enter up to three unrelated articles/stories, or series ("entries"). Therefore a person (entrant) may have his or her name on a maximum of three entries submitted to TMA in a given year;
- You are not a "trade publication" that is not intended for a general public audience;
- You are not in the medical profession, medical association, etc. or other health-related organization that relays health information targeted to the medical profession or allied professions; and
- Your entry is not a public service announcement, promotional spot or marketing effort.
Judging Criteria – What do we look for?
Entries are judged on the basis of accuracy, significance, quality, public interest, and impact. Judges will name one winner and one citation of merit winner per category, unless the judges determine no entries represent excellence in a given category. Judges may also choose to award a tie. Judging will be performed by Texas Medical Association physicians and other members of TMA's Council on Health Promotion, and respected journalists from the news publishing and broadcast fields. Final winners are determined by the TMA Council on Health Promotion. TMA is not responsible for lost or damaged entries.