Regardless of your specialty, the medical record is the heart of your practice. A good medical record is vital for clinical, business, and legal reasons. So take a few minutes to listen to the latest Podcast TMA on medical records.
The podcast is based on the release of the second volume of TMA Practice Management E-Tips Greatest Hits [ PDF ]. It features two TMA staff experts - Lee Spangler TMA's associate general counsel who has extensive knowledge and expertise in health law and medical ethics, and Shannon Moore, director of the TMA Health Information Technology (HIT) Department. Ms. Moore and her team are your trusted advisors on HIT adoption and implementation.
The podcast covers:
- How long do physician practices have to keep patients' records?
- What's the best approach to destroying patient records?
- How does a practice know whether the time is right to take the plunge into the electronic medical record (EMR)?
- How much should a physician be prepared to spend to buy the right EMR system for his or her practice?
- From a legal perspective, does it matter whether a practice uses paper or electronic medical records?
- How can physicians who use EMRs limit their liability exposure when it comes to documenting the patient encounter?
Action , Aug. 18, 2008