About the Texas Public Health Coalition
Who we are: The Texas Public Health Coalition is a coalition of health professional organizations and health-focused organizations dedicated to disease prevention and health promotion.
Purpose: The coalition works to reduce preventable disease by advancing effective public policies that promote a safe and healthy environment and healthy behaviors for all Texas residents.
The mission of the coalition is to:
• Develop leadership and consensus among health professionals and health-focused organizations and entities on critical public health issues.
• Prioritize and advocate for statewide policies, programming, and funding to address public health issues.
• Inform and educate Texas elected officials on public health issues.
• Provide information and analysis on public health policy for media, policy makers, regulatory bodies, and the public.
• Monitor our state’s progress in addressing high-priority public health issues.
• Strengthen the interaction between the health care and public health communities.
Upcoming 2014 Events
June 26 and 27 – Texas Tobacco Summit, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Commemorating the 50th University of the first Surgeon General’s report, Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General
September 2014 – University of Health Forum II
November 2014 – University of Health Forum II
University of Health 2012
THPC held public health forums throughout 2012 to discuss Texas’ role in public health and safety, and economic stability. These sessions focused on public health infrastructure, immunizations, obesity, and tobacco use and cancer prevention and their impact on the physical and fiscal health of Texas. Staff members of Texas legislators and news media were invited to attend.
View the presentations from each forum:
Public Health Infrastructure:
Tobacco Use and Cancer Prevention:
2014 TPHC Members and Donors:
- American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network
- American Heart Association
- American Lung Association
- Arthritis Foundation South Central Region
- BlueCross BlueShield of Texas
- Children’s Hospital Association of Texas
- Vincent Fonseca, MD, TMA Council on Science and Public Health
- Harris County Public Health & Environmental Services
- HealthStart Foundation
- March of Dimes
- Texas Academy of Family Physicians
- Texas Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants
- Texas Association of Community Health Centers
- Texas Dental Association
- Texas e-Health Alliance
- Texas Hospital Association
- Texas Medical Association
- Texas Nurses Association
- Texas Pediatric Society
- Texas Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Texas Public Health Association
- Texas Renal Coalition
- Texas State Alliance of YMCAs
- The Immunization Partnership
- Travis County Medical Society
- United Ways of Texas
- Cancer Alliance of Texas
- Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Michael & Susan Dell Center for Healthy Living
- San Antonio Mayor’s Fitness Council
- Texas Area Health Education Center (Texas AHEC East/UTMB)
- Texas Department of Agriculture