A portion of the dues collected are earmarked for educational pursuits. From 1986 through 1996, a contribution was made to TMA's Medical Student Loan Fund. Beginning in 1997, a contribution was made each year to the Young Physicians Section Rural Scholarship Fund. As of September 2004, the club voted to redirect the contribution to establish the TMA 50-Year Club Scholarship to award a medical student with outstanding academic progress.
The criteria established for the TMA 50-Year Club Scholarship has been set forth as follows:
- Total annual award of $1,500 if the funds are available;
- Available to all accredited Texas medical schools with rotation schedule according to an established cycle;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be in the second, third, or fourth year of medical school study;
- Displays outstanding academic progress in medical school;
- The school notifies TMA of the winners;
- Funding available through the 50-Year Club dues; and
- Awards are to be issued in increments of no less than $500 per medical student.
Schools eligible for the scholarships are (in order):
- 2013 Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- 2014 University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
- 2015 University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
- 2016 Baylor College of Medicine
- 2017 University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
- 2018 University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston
- 2019 Texas A&M University System Health Science Center
- 2020 University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
To apply for the scholarship, visit the TMA Educational Loans page.
50-Year Club main page