TMA offers low interest loans for qualified medical students and resident physicians
Visit the TMA Loan Funds Web page for more information
Student Loan Program
- Interest is due on the anniversary date of the loan.
- Repayment of the principal portion of the loan begins four years after graduation.
- Equal monthly payments will be made for four years.
- Loans may be repaid in full at any time prior to maximal tenure without penalty.
- The note will become due if the student should discontinue the study of medicine.
- An interview will be required with a Trustee of Texas Medical Association.
How to Apply
- Students must apply through their medical school's Financial Aid Office.
- Upon approval, a check will be mailed directly to the student.
Resident Loan Program
- Loans are available to physicians in any year of postgraduate training.
- A resident physician may borrow up to a maximum of $3,000.
- The residency must be in an accredited program within the sate of Texas.
- Interest is due each year on the anniversary date of the loan until principal repayment begins.
- Loans may be repaid in full at any time without a prepayment penalty.
- Loan recipients must begin to repay the principal of the loan two years after loan disbursement.
- Equal monthly payments will be made for 12 months on a $1,000 loan, 24 months on a $2,000 loan, or 36 months on a $3,000 loan.
How to Apply
Resident physicians may apply for a loan through Texas Medical Association and must obtain (the following links will take you to forms viewable using Adobe Acrobat Reader).
Call (800) 880-2828 for more information.
To apply, complete the Resident Physician Loan Program application . (pdf file format - Help )
Once finished, print out the forms and mail them to: Loan Funds Administration, Texas Medical Association, 401 W. 15th St., Austin, TX 78701.
Questions? E-mail email@example.com , or call (800) 880-2828 for more information.
Note : If an individual received a TMA loan from either the Dr. SE Thompson Scholarship Fund or the TMA Alliance Student Loan Fund while in medical school, that amount will be included in the maximum allowed.
Mail completed forms to: Loan Funds Administration, Texas Medical Association, 401 W. 15th St., Austin, TX 78701.
Questions? E-mail student loans , or call (800) 880-2828 for more information.
For our Intellectual Property Rights notice and other legal information, please click here .