Group practices that plan on participating in the 2014 Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) program year through the group practice reporting option (GPRO) must register by Sept. 30, 2014. This deadline does not apply to physicians who will participate in the 2014 PQRS program year as individual eligible professionals (EPs) or to physicians in a group practice who will participate in the 2014 PQRS program year as individual EPs.
Groups with 10 or more EPs need to take immediate action to avoid the automatic calendar year 2016 value-based payment modifier downward payment adjustment. Read the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) notice for more information and a list of options.
According to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), a group practice under the 2014 PQRS program year is defined by a single tax identification number (TIN), with two or more individual EPs, as identified by an individual national provider identifier, who have reassigned billing rights to the TIN. Group practices will be categorized by group size: two to 24 EPs, 25 to 99 EPs, and 100 or more EPs. Keep in mind GPRO reporting requirements and reporting method options vary based on the size of a group practice.
2014 PQRS Reporting Options (All cover the period from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2014):
There are benefits to participating as a group practice under GPRO, including:
- Group practices may report one set of quality measures data on behalf of all EPs in the group (rather than having each EP report data individually), and
- Group practices may receive a larger incentive at the TIN level, which is 0.5 percent of all Medicare Part B Physician Fee Schedule claims for covered professional services furnished during 2014.
Where and How to Register
Group practices may register through the online PV-PQRS Registration System now through Sept. 30, 2014. Group practices that previously reported under GPRO and plan on reporting PQRS data again via GPRO must register every year.
To register for the 2014 PQRS GPRO:
- Go to https://portal.cms.gov. On the right side, select Login to CMS Secure Portal.
- After accepting the terms and conditions, enter your Individuals Authorized Access to CMS Computer Services (IACS) user ID and password in the Welcome to CMS Enterprise Portal screen. Select Log In to continue.
- Select the PV-PQRS tab at the top of the screen, and select Registration from the drop-down menu.
- You will see a screen where the group practice(s) and EP(s) (if applicable) associated with your IACS account are listed. To register a group practice for the first time, select the Register link to the right of the group practice you want to register.
If reporting via a qualified registry, consider one of TMA's endorsed, qualified registries. PQRSwizard, and Covisint PQRS provide simple and cost-effective ways for EPs to collect and report quality measures data for the 2014 PQRS program year. Visit the TMA website to learn more.
PQRS CME Webinar
Don't know where to start with PQRS? TMA offers continuing medical education on the 2014 PQRS program year.
PQRS GPRO Resources
For additional PQRS GPRO information, visit:
For answers to PQRS questions, contact the CMS QualityNet Help Desk, Monday through Friday, 7 am to 7 pm (CT), by phone, (866) 288-8912, or email. You can also contact the TMA Knowledge Center by phone, (800) 880-7955, or email.
Action, Sept. 15, 2014