The insurance entities listed here are licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI) or are statutorily authorized to write medical professional liability insurance. TDI regulates these companies except as noted. All companies in this section contribute to the GUARANTY FUND except where noted.
See below for alternative and excess professional liability insurance plans.
Warning: Most companies in this list issue policies on a claims-made basis. Claims may not be covered unless they occur and are reported within the effective period of the policy. Particular care must be exercised when retiring or changing insurance companies to avoid coverage gaps. Read the policy for details and discuss it with your agent or company.
Additional contact information, rating sources, and recent financial history are on the TDI Web site. Look for "Online Company Profiles."
TEXAS MEDICAL LIABILITY TRUST *
Limited to TMA membership
901 Mopac Expressway South
Barton Oaks Plaza V, Suite 500
Austin, TX 78746
(800) 580-8658 or (512) 425-5800
There is a team of individuals in the Sales Department that handle all calls on quotes, new policies, etc. If there is a question about an existing policy, a particular underwriter is assigned to each (the physician should know who this individual is and should refer to them if there are any questions).
When calling the local or toll free number, a prompt will ask if you are calling about an existing policy or a new quote and proceeds to direct you to that line.
Inside sales representatives:
|John Southrey - Manager, Sales & Business Development
|Shaunna Garrison - Representative, Sales & Business Development
|Katie Thornell - Representative, Sales & Business Development
* Texas Medical Liability Trust (TMLT) is exclusively endorsed by the Texas Medical Association. TMLT files policy forms and rates for information only with the Texas Department of Insurance. It also files audited annual financial statements. It is exempt from contributing to the Guaranty Fund and is not covered by it.
ADVOCATE, MD INSURANCE OF THE SOUTHWEST INC.
811 Barton Springs Road
Austin, TX 78704
(800) 686-2734 toll free or (512) 275-1830 local
Please contact us for a FREE, no obligation indication of premium:
|Marcy Nicholson, Senior Sales Manager
|Donna Parker, Director of Underwriting
|Tracie Deison, Senior Underwriter
|Sandra Larkam, Senior Underwriter
AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL COMPANIES:
NATIONAL UNION FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY OF PITTSBURGH, PA;
THE INSURANCE COMPANY OF THE ST. OF PA;
ILLINOIS NATIONAL INSURANCE COMPANY;
GRANITE STATE INSURANCE COMPANY
Specialize in underwriting physicians in group practice
70 Pine St.
New York, NY 10270
(877)-520-4636 or (212) 770-7000
AMERICAN PHYSICIANS INSURANCE CHANGE, A ProAssurance Company
1301 Capital of Texas Hwy, Suite C-300
Austin, TX 78746
CNA INSURANCE COMPANIES:
CONTINENTAL CASUALTY COMPANY;
AMERICAN CASUALTY COMPANY OF READING, PA
Specialize in underwriting physicians in group practice. Ask for Medical Service for Texas.
Chicago, IL 60685
(888) 600-4776 or (312) 822-5730
THE DOCTORS COMPANY
185 Greenwood Rd.
P.O. Box 2900
Napa, CA 94558-0900
(800) 421-2368 (customer service, for existing policy holders or credentialing)
(877) 256-6482 (fax)
(800) 352-0320 (for new quotes or new policies)
THE MEDICAL PROTECTIVE COMPANY
P.O. Box 15021
Fort Wayne, IN 46885
(800) 344-1899 or (219) 485-9622
Call 800 number and select from recorded choices.
Dallas Office - 214-220-7000
Ask for Steve Simmons if you reside west of IH 35
Ask for Chuck Curtice if you reside anywhere in the rest of the state
Please note that Steve and Chuck do share some areas of the state such as Houston.
PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE CO
Underwrites physicians in practice in Catholic Health Initiatives Hospitals.
10707 Pacific St., Suite 205
Omaha, NE 68114-4735
PROFESSIONALS ADVOCATE INSURANCE COMPANY
Specializes in underwriting physicians in interstate group practices.
225 International Circle, Box 8016
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
TEXAS HOSPITAL INSURANCE EXCHANGE
P.O. Box 14626
Austin, TX 78761
(800) 792-0060 or (512) 451-5775
Ask for Liz Jennings, ext. 525, or Bud Armstrong, ext. 511
Alternative and Excess Professional Liability Insurance Plans for Physicians and Other Health Care Providers
TEXAS MEDICAL LIABILITY INSURANCE UNDERWRITING ASSOCIATION**
JUA announces new options, rates (PDF)
(Also known as the Joint Underwriting Association or JUA)
Writes primary medmal coverage or excess over licensed member insurance companies
Centennial Tower, Suite 180
505 East Huntland Dr.
Austin, TX 78752
Fax (512) 452-5241
**Texas Medical Liability Insurance Underwriting Association (JUA) is an insurer of last resort. You must be turned down by at least two admitted insurance carriers (this does not include the Texas Medical Liability Trust) before you are eligible to apply to the JUA. Receiving a quote that is higher than what the JUA would offer is considered a turn down by that carrier for purposes of consideration by the JUA for their coverage. Although the JUA does not participate in the Guaranty Fund, its member insurance companies may be assessed to maintain solvency.
- Texas Medical Liability Insurance Underwriting Association (JUA), Austin, TX (512) 452-4370, writes excess liability insurance over policies of licensed member insurance companies
- Admiral Insurance Company, Austin, Texas, email email@example.com , or call (512) 795-0766
- American International Cos, 70 Pine Street, New York, NY 10270, 877-520-4636 or (212) 770-7000
- Catlin Insurance Company Ltd. (E&S), 3700 Buffalo Speedway, Suite 600, Houston, Texas 77098, 713-626-1266; Underwrites difficult-to-place practices, surgicenters, ER groups.
- Evanston Insurance Company (E&S), 10 Parkway North, Deerfield, IL 60015-2526, (847) 572-6200
- General Star Indemnity Company (E&S)
P.O. Box 10354, 695 East Main Street Stamford CT 06904-2354, (203) 328-5700
- Health Care Insurers (agent, E&S), 7011 Campus Drive, Suite. 200, Colorado Springs, CO 80920, (800) 397-9697 or (719) 528-8200, Fax: (719) 528-8323, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hudson Specialty Insurance Company (E&S), 300 First Stamford Place, Stamford CT 06902, 212-978-2700, email@example.com
- Lexington Insurance Company, 200 State Street, Boston, MA 02109, (617) 330-1100
- Medical Assurance Company (licensed), P O Box 590009, Birmingham, AL 35259, 800-282-6242. Licensed carrier selling through a purchasing group.
- Professional Underwriters Liability Insurance Co (PULIC) (E&S), Bernard Warschaw Insurance Sales Agency, Inc., 12121 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 601, Los Angeles, CA 90025, (800) 537-7362, (310) 571-0730, Fax: (310) 571-0886. Underwrites difficult-to-place practices.
- Red Mountain Casualty Insurance Co, Inc (E&S), P O Box 590009, Birmingham, AL 35259-0009, 866-686-4666 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Professional Liabililty Insurance