The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has improved its Internet-based Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). The following upgrades make it easier to use and more information accessible:
- Email notifications sent from PECOS now include your National Provider Identifier and provider transaction access number.
- When reassigning all benefits to a group, you now need to complete fewer topics.
- The Medicare Participating Provider or Supplier Agreement (CMS-460 form) hyperlink is now displayed in the PAR (participation agreement) Status topic instead of at the end of the application process. Additionally, CMS has improved the list of supporting documents you must submit with the application, including a matrix with definitions of each document to help you understand exactly what to submit.
- CMS has clarified instructions for changing information on the Application Questionnaire page. PECOS now displays two options and specifies details regarding each to ensure you select the scenario appropriate to your enrollment application.
- You no longer have to enter spaces, apostrophes, or dashes in the Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, Employer Identification Number, and Phone Number fields.
Are you taking advantage of PECOS? View the tutorials below to learn how to use this system. The PECOS log in page has links to these tutorials and other helpful links that allow you to see if you have received a revalidation request, the status of enrollment applications you submitted in the last 90 days, and more.
- Initial Enrollment: Step-by-step demonstration of an initial enrollment application in PECOS.
- Change of Information: Step-by-step demonstration of how to update or change information for an existing enrollment already on file with CMS.
- Revalidation: Step-by-step demonstration on how to submit your revalidation application using PECOS.
- Voluntary Withdraw: Example of how to deactivate an existing enrollment record.
Published May 21, 2013
TMA Practice E-Tips main page