The Division of Public Health and Medical Education focuses on public health, scientific, and patient safety issues throughout the state, emphasizing areas in which high-quality medical care and scientific expertise can benefit all Texans. In addition the division maintains close relationships with academic medicine and monitors physician workforce trends.
Contact: Karen Batory, MPA, Vice President, (800) 880-1300, ext. 1405, (512) 370-1405
- Provide resources, education and tools via CME offerings and an expanded TMA quality website.
- Prepare physicians for quality/value-based reimbursement challenges that are a part of the current payer’ Pay-for-Performance programs and an integral aspect of healthcare reform.
- Educate physicians regarding opportunities to use private, federal and state incentives to improve their patient outcomes.
- Develop policy and advocates for physicians and their practices on quality improvement, patient safety, performance measurement, and clinical effectiveness.
Contact: Angelica Ybarra, RN, MSN, Director, (800) 880-1300, ext. 1400, (512) 370-1400
- Medical School Expansions
- Graduate Medical Education Funding
- Physician Recruitment and Retention
- Physician Education Loan Repayment Program
- Minority Medical School Enrollments
Contact: Marcia Collins, Director, (800) 880-1300, ext. 1375, (512) 370-1375
- Represents the association on public health issues affecting Texans, including liaison with public health organizations, voluntary agencies, and state and local public health agencies.
- Administers projects in the areas of child and adolescent health, border health, prevention, and infectious disease.
- Monitors tobacco settlement allocations and provides reports to TMA leadership.
- Administers outreach programs, monitors public health trends and issues, and alerts physicians to emergent public health issues.
- Educates and directs programming to improve collaboration between medicine and public health.
Contact: Margaret Mendez, Director, (800) 880-1300, ext. 1440, (512) 370-1440
- Philanthropic arm of TMA that implements the association's resource development program.
- Funds initiatives with the power to help physicians create a healthier future for all Texans.
- Supports programs that reflect the public health and science priorities of TMA.
- Provides TMA and TMAA members unique opportunities to improve the health of Texans by financially supporting and volunteering in TMAF-funded initiatives.
Contact: Lisa Stark Walsh, Executive Director, (800) 880-1300, ext. 1666, (512) 370-1666