Take advantage of your TMA membership by attending TexMed 2011, May 13-14, at the George R. Brown Convention Center and Hyatt Regency Houston.
"Caring for Patients in a Time of Change" is the theme of the conference, which offers more than 100 hours of clinical and business continuing medical education (CME), an exhibit hall with some 100 exhibits, and a chance to learn how to enhance patient care, stay abreast of clinical updates, discuss key issues with experts in the field, and help set TMA policy on issues that are important to you and your patients. Attendance at TexMed is free for TMA members.
See into The Future of Medicine Under the New Health System with Jeff Goldsmith, PhD, at the General Session. Dr. Goldsmith is president of Health Futures and one of the nation's foremost health industry analysts, specializing in corporate strategy, trend analysis, health policy, and emerging technologies. He has worked across the health system advising senior management and boards including hospitals, health plans, physician groups, pharmaceutical companies, and biotechnology and health manufacturing companies, as well as in distribution sectors.
Some of the key points he will cover in his General Session presentation include:
- An update on what's happening in Washington.
- Market consolidation ― what's happening?
- What can we expect in the next five to 10 years?
- The importance of health information technology.
- Manpower issues – providing care for newly insured and aging boomers.
- Hospital-physician relationship and how it has changed.
- Performance-based payment models and new Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services incentives.
- Can the small practice survive? What role can TMA/organized medicine play?
While at TexMed 2011, you also can:
- Spend some quality time with colleagues and friends at the Networking Luncheon in the Expo Hall. After lunch, stroll through the Expo Hall and preview the latest technology, products, and services for your practice. Boxed lunch tickets are $15. Sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
- Check out the breakout session on accountable care organizations; the Public Health CME track on new incentives and tools that allow physicians to track and benchmark preventive services; and the Quality track, which will help physicians meet the demands of public and private payers as they push forward value-based purchasing programs that offer rewards for efficiency and quality outcomes.
- Join us at a new event – a reception honoring 2011-12 TMA President C. Bruce Malone, MD, Austin, and TMAA President Bridget McKeever, Corpus Christi. Sponsored by the Texas Medical Association Insurance Trust.
- Portrait Studio: Smile for the Camera! Visit booth #431 at the Expo Hall during TexMed 2011 to have your professional portrait taken by RCL Portrait Design. These photos will be used for the TMA online directory, the new TMA Mobile App, and public relations. View your proofs on the spot through an instant video system, and choose your favorite photo to have in your TMA file. Additional photos are available for purchase, but there is no pressure to buy. This is a free service. Call (800) 951-8712 for an appointment before you arrive at TexMed.
- Enjoy fine wine at the Texas Oenological Society annual wine dinner at 7 pm, Thursday, May 12, at Charivari Specialty Restaurant, 2521 Bagby. Tickets are $125. You may register online on the TexMed website.
- Eat, drink, and be merry at the TMA Foundation's 18th annual gala, Picture of Good Health. This annual fundraiser is a chance to have fun with friends while supporting TMA's health improvement programs.
Register for the conference and make your housing reservations online, or contact the TMA Knowledge Center by telephone at (800) 880-7955 or by e-mail.
Action, May 2, 2011