Expect insurance companies to begin scrutinizing more closely than ever the claims you submit. Here are some tips for filing clean claims:
Tips for filing electronic claims:
- Verify, file, and keep all transmission reports.
- Track clearinghouse claims to ensure successful transmission.
- Ensure your computer software is consistent with the clean claims rules.
- Verify that your software correctly prints the CMS-1500 claim form.
- Call your software vendor, if needed, to address the above two items.
Tips for filing paper claims:
- Use only original claim forms (printed in red drop-out ink).
- Avoid folding claims, if possible.
- Resist using terms such as "refiled claim," "second request," or "corrected claim."
- Avoid handwritten claims.
- Use all UPPERCASE letters.
- Stay inside the lines of each block.
- Ensure claims are printed darkly.
- Use any punctuation or decimals.
- Send unnecessary attachments.
- Use staples or paperclips.
- Attach "post-it" notes.
- Mark up the claim with highlighters.
- Use circles or additional markings.
- Attach labels or stickers.
- Add notes or instructional assistance.
Don't give insurance companies an excuse to reject your claims.
TMA Practice E-tips main page