When hiring someone for your billing department, invest time in the careful recruitment and selection of the best candidate. Don't hire someone just to "fill a chair." Follow these tips to help in the selection process:
- Use a descriptive job title in your ad to eliminate an influx of résumés from unqualified applicants.
- Select candidates who have medical office experience, not just hospital billing experience. Coding for medical practices is different from coding in hospitals.
- Inquire about each candidate's technical knowledge and skills. Look for someone who is familiar with electronic billing, computer billing systems, and collections modules.
- Ascertain how much each candidate knows about your specialty. This knowledge is a valuable asset in the reimbursement/follow-up process.
- Have candidates review an explanation of benefits form. This will reveal if they can interpret and explain correctly key elements and requirements.
- Ask candidates for recommendations on prioritizing your aged accounts receivable report. This will give you a sense of their problem-solving skills and ability to think logically.
TMA Practice E-tips main page