Establish a collections policy for patients, or your slow payers will do it for you! Remember these four key elements:
- Convey your attitude toward collections to your collection staff. Only when they know your attitude can your staff communicate effectively with patients about money.
- Identify which staff member(s) is authorized to negotiate payment.
- Follow the Billing Disclosure Requirements for uninsured and indigent patients.
- Instruct your staff to follow the collection procedures outlined in your office policy manual.
- Finally, establish how far your office will go to enforce collections before turning debt over to an outside collection agency.
Collecting bad debts is not the most pleasant part of running a medical office - but TMA can help. Contact TMA Practice Consulting today to request a Billing and Collections Assessment proposal for your practice at (800) 523-8776, or e-mail TMA Practice Consulting. For outsourcing problem accounts, TMA has endorsed I.C. System . For details and collections, call I.C. System at (800) 279-3511 and mention that you are a TMA member.
Content reviewed: 3/23/2007
TMA Practice E-tips main page